Collective Housing Case Studies in Asia
NEPAL - Kirtipur Sambridha Awas - 2005
This housing project made history in many ways.  It was Nepal’s first-ever community-planned and community-managed resettlement project for squatters who were evicted to make way for a public infrastructure project.   It  was also the first time that substantial municipal funds were invested in a jointly-managed fund that  would finance this first project, and then revolve to finance other initiatives by poor communities in Kathmandu.  The  project showed how collaboration, flexible finance and the development force of communities themselves can solve a city’s housing problems in fast, simple and inexpensive ways.  
PAKISTAN - One Room and a Roof - 2016
When a powerful earthquake hit Balochistan Province in 2013, hundreds of remote villages in the mountainous Awaran District, which was closest to the epicenter, were reduced to rubble.  Because this was a conflict zone, the government wouldn’t allow international aid agencies to go in.  But the Karachi-based Urban Resource Centre did go, and worked with the villagers to develop an unconventional project that capitalized on the local building wisdom and social strength in these resourceful communities to rebuild their houses, bringing in to the process only those elements the people couldn’t manage themselves.
PHILIPPINES - Miraculous Hills Subdivision - 2021
This is the story of an extraordinary housing project that was imagined and made real by some of Metro Manila’s poorest citizens - the women, men and children who earn their living by collecting, sorting and selling recyclable waste. They were living in squatter settlements around the mountainous Payatas garbage dump, where they faced the constant threat of eviction. Against great odds, they saved together, formed a homeowners association, bought a piece of inexpensive, undeveloped land in a neighboring city and are gradually developing it and building new houses and new lives for themselves there.
THAILAND - Wat Lad Bua Khao - 1983
This little project may look a bit  cramped and grubby, but if collective housing projects had their own museum, this one would be the star exhibit.  Forty years ago, these 67 poor families, who had survived fires and evictions, negotiated to buy a small portion of the land they used to rent, and rebuilt their community on that postage-stamp-sized land, with help from some creative-thinking friends at the National Housing Authority.  At the end of that extraordinary struggle, they made Thailand’s first land sharing project and its first community-driven formal housing project, which would inspire so many others. 
THAILAND - Manangkasila - 1988
Manangkasila was an old, run-down community of fruit vendors and day laborers in the center of Bangkok.  After the land was leased to a private sector company to develop commercially, an eviction crisis brought everyone to the table.  Eventually, the community negotiated to turn over 60 percent of the land they used to occupy to the developer and lease the other 40 percent to rebuild their community, in a tight layout of rowhouses on small plots. Manangkasila was Bangkok’s second example of the “land sharing” strategy being used to avoid eviction and allow the people to stay and improve their housing.
Page: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7